Boot Loader Specification (UAPI Group)

Heinrich Schuchardt xypron.glpk at gmx.de
Fri Nov 18 22:32:54 CET 2022

On 11/16/22 11:50, Sebastian Veit wrote:
> Dear devs of U-Boot,
>
> I'd like to know if there's already a work in progress
> on the support of the "fairly new" Boot Loader Specification [1].
>
> Summary of the new spec: Defines a set of file formats and
> naming conventions to allow distribution independent
> boot loader menus supportable by multiple bootloaders.

Hello Sebastian,

Thanks for the pointers. Unfortunately it is unclear where the
specification should be used.

What is the spec good for on EFI systems where BootOrder and Boot####
variables define what is to be booted?

Do you want to replace extlinux/ ?
Do you expect GRUB to consider the entries when building grub.cfg?

How will the entries be created? Hopefully there is some code to do the job.

Best regards

Heinrich