[NEW FEATURE] RFC: Add Intel GMBUS support

Eric Schikschneit eric.schikschneit at novatechautomation.com
Fri Sep 22 16:18:40 CEST 2023

Hello,

That is correct. The new later revision Baytrail chips do not reliably initialize video upon boot. I have taken a significant amount of time to analyze the issue. The SOCs produced after 2019 show this issue, although I dont have the specific SKU or stepping details as our production team has not been logging that data. We have several hundred of these SOCs in inventory and are seeing a 20% failure rate resulting in these boards being marked bad. The vendor (Advantech) uses an AMI BIOS on the SOM which we replace with U-Boot. The AMI BIOS is able to reliably initialize the video on the SOCs in question. I have captured the communication on the GMBUS for both the U-Boot initialization and the AMI initialization. Both can be clearly seen running the Intel VBIOS, but the vendors BIOS then additionally gathers data approx 100ms later from the GMBUS to be used to properly initialize the GPU. This can be seen on the google drive link below in the file "Logic-Capture.png". I have also done a register dump comparison between a known good SOC and a known bad SOC. The register "PIPEAFRAMECOUNT", offset 0x70040 can be seen that the monitor does not report back sufficient VSYNC on the newer silicon. This can be seen on the google drive link below in the file "Register-Comparison.png". I have also included the full register dumps in the text files. If you would like I can add the actual Logic capture files for further inspection. The Intel doc "intel-os-gfx-prm-vol10-display.pdf" does not show confidential or NDA so I believe this is a public document that we can use to implement the needed features.

Google Drive with referenced data:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OpXT7Faks2sfIKBIv-JmhEYeLzFYwvmF?usp=sharing

Eric Schikschneit
Senior Embedded Linux Engineer III  ​

NovaTech, LLC
13555 W. 107th Street | Lenexa, LS 66215​
O: 913.451.1880​
  ​
novatechautomation.com | NovaTechLinkedIn
Receipt of this email implies compliance with our terms and conditions.