[Binman] Question regarding SPL symbol offsets generation

Lukasz Majewski lukma at denx.de
Thu Aug 15 22:14:21 CEST 2024

Hi Fabio,

> Hi Lukasz,
>
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2024 at 6:07 AM Lukasz Majewski <lukma at denx.de> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Community
> >
> > I'd like to ask about one issue with generation of symbol offsets in
> > binman [1].
> >
> > In my case the CONFIG_FSPI_CONF_HEADER is defined.
> >
> > Problem is with generated symbols [2] to point into
> > ddr-1d-imem-fw/ddr-1d-dmem-fw/ddr-2d-imem-fw/ddr-2d-dmem-fw.
> >
> > It looks like only symbols have extra offset of 0x1000 (the same as
> > the first section introduces) - binaries for training memory are
> > placed without this extra offset.
> >
> > On the other hand - before this change:
> > SHA1: 37e50627efacd8dae18b564e9d8886a033e181bc
> >
> > The u-boot-spl-ddr.bin was a separate binman "entry" (i.e. not
> > section)
> > - so e.g. ddr-1d-dmem-fw {} had proper offsets (as this binary was
> > also mangled into spl.bin with mkimage invocation).
> >

> > Now the question - how to properly fix this issue?
>
> I assume you fixed the problem with this change:
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/patch/20240815080948.457524-1-lukma@denx.de/

Unfortunately not - this change is only for properly setting start
address of the u-boot.

The _real_ problem here is the symbol placement generated by binman
when we try to define the image as a single one.

Moreover, this change follows other boards with imx8mm processor -
./configs/imx8mm_beacon_fspi_defconfig to be specific.

The "fix" (for which I'd been now probably opt) for this issue would be
to generate two images with binman - one for u-boot-spl-ddr.bin and the
final flash.bin with the former one included (as it was before SHA1:
37e50627efacd8dae18b564e9d8886a033e181bc)

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

--

DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      Managing Director: Erika Unter
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: lukma at denx.de