[ELDK] question about "ARCH" definition

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 2 16:28:23 CET 2008

In message <BAY131-DS322B1D893E53F775EB7AB91520 at phx.gbl> you wrote:
> To build Linux kernel for a embedded system, one need to edit ARCH
> definition in top Makefile. For PowerPC CPUs, I find that ARCH is defined as

No, you don't have to edit the Makefile.

Actually, editing the Makefile is *strongly* discouraged.

Just pass the ARCH setting on the make command line, i. e. write

	make ARCH=... ...

> "ARCH = ppc" in all tutorials.

I don't know which tutorials you are referring to, but most likely
this is no ELDK related documentation. We never recommended changing
the Makefile. On contrary.

> If "ARCH = ppc" means arch/ppc directory, should I write "ARCH = powerpc"
> now?

No. Please don't meddle with hte Makefile unless you really want to
change something.

If you want to build for a board that is supported by the new
arch/powerpc configuration, please write

	make ARCH=powerpc ... uImage
instead
	make ARCH=ppc ... uImage

[Note that you might want to add more command line arguments, like
"CROSS_COMPILE=..." etc.].

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Conceptual integrity in turn dictates that the  design  must  proceed
from  one  mind,  or  from  a  very small number of agreeing resonant
minds.               - Frederick Brooks Jr., "The Mythical Man Month"