[ELDK] Using ELDK on an old ARM platform

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Thu Apr 16 17:53:40 CEST 2009

Hi Johan,

> Wolfgang,
>
> Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>> Dear Johan Borkhuis,
>>
>> In message <49DF5CAA.1070402 at cimsolutions.nl> you wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to run ELDK 4.2 on an older ARM-platform. This platform runs
>>> kernel 2.6.12, which does not yet support the EABI standard afaik. ELDK
>>> 4.2 however is compiled with EABI support. Is there a version available
>>> with support for the old ABI interface, or should I move to an older
>>> version of the ELDK?
>>>

>> Where exactly is ELDK 4.2 not working for you?
>>

> The problem I have is that I cannot run the binaries provided with ELDK
> 4.2 or that I build with the ELDK 4.2 tools. I can build the kernel
> (2.6.12) with ELDK 4.2, and this works fine, but only the executables
> that were provided with the system can be executed with this kernel. But
> I would like to move to ELDK tools, so I am looking for a way to enable
> the kernel to run the newer binaries or to get an ELDK version than can
> create the older binaries.

With respect to the neccessary efforts, we decided to have only a EABI
version of ELDK 4.2.  If you want to use a non-EABI kernel, you will
need to use ELDK 4.1.

In the long run, of course it will be best for you to switch to a more
recent kernel version and use ELDK 4.2.

Best wishes
  Detlev

--
I can understand that things like user-level libraries have to take crazy people
into account, but the kernel internal libraries definitely do not.