[ELDK] C++ execution on PowerPC

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Oct 7 19:25:27 CEST 2009

Dear Kushagra Bhatnagar,

In message <OFA685C419.482348FA-ON65257648.00473AC7-65257648.004773DB at lntinfotech.com> you wrote:

> We have PowerPC 460EX board (Release 4.2), on which we are trying to
> execute few C and C++ programs. We are able to run C programs
> successfully, but while executing C++ programs, we get an error: error
> while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory.

Bharat Bhat asked us the very same question on Monday, and I explained
to him:

| Well, this is a pretty clear error message isn't it? The
| libstdc++.so.6 shared library is missing in your target root file
| system.

I also pointed out:

| Also, there is a tool called "Root File System Builder" (RFSB)
| available here: http://git.denx.de/?p=rfsb.git;a=summary
| This helps to prevent such errors.

> The corresponding library is available in our host machine(for x86
> architecture) and hence can't be copied to the target as it is. In order

Bharat Bhat asked this before, too, and I replied:

| You must of course use the respective files from the ELDK installation
| tree.

> to install the library, we downloaded the specific RPM file for PowerPC.
> But RPM is not supported on PowerPC and we are unable to find the binary
> of RPM for PowerPC. Kindly help us in this regard.

The solution in your case reequires several steps:

1) Read the documentation:
   http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/Manual?stickboard=canyonlands

2) Download the ELDK (unless you already have received it on CD with
   your 460EX board)

3) Install the ELDK. Follow the documentation step by step.

4) Copy the C++ libraries from your ELDK installation tree to your
   target root file system. If you use the recommended installation
   directory "/opt/eldk/", then the C++ libraries can be found in

   /opt/eldk/ppc_4xxFP/lib/libstdc++.a
   /opt/eldk/ppc_4xxFP/lib/libstdc++.la
   /opt/eldk/ppc_4xxFP/lib/libstdc++.so
   /opt/eldk/ppc_4xxFP/lib/libstdc++.so.6
   /opt/eldk/ppc_4xxFP/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.9

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Include the success of others in your dreams for your own success.