[ELDK] dhclient error

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Oct 13 15:19:08 CEST 2009

Dear Jonathan,

in message <OF60A57909.4B24316E-ONC125764E.00473870-C125764E.0047D912 at schneider-electric.com> you wrote:

> When I am using "dhclient" in a light modified SELF-Ramdisk I get
> following error:
> "execve (/sbin/dhclient-script, ...): No such file or directory

Well, if the "/sbin/dhclient-script" script itself is present, then
maybe it cannot be run because the needed interpreter is missing. I
guess your script (please check!) starts with a line like that:

	#!/bin/bash

So please make sure that bash is installed in your root file system,
too - or modify the script such that it works without requiring bash.

> socket: Protocol not available - make sure
> CONFIG_PACKET (Packet socket) and CONFIG_FILTER
> (Socket Filtering) are enabled in your kernel configuration!"

Now this is pretty clear, isn't it?

> 1. "execve" is not found ? (I did not found an execve, but when I mount
> the ELDK-3.1.1 root file system through NFS there is no execve available
> at all... I also tried with a dummy execve with no difference...)

ELDK 3.1.1 is very old. Is there any special reason for not using
current code, i. e. ELDK release 4.2 ?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
HR Manager to job candidate "I see you've had no  computer  training.
Although  that  qualifies  you  for upper management, it means you're
under-qualified for our entry level positions."