[ELDK] uboot MPC5200B DDR memsize hangs

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Oct 14 14:00:31 CEST 2009

Dear Chris,

In message <D3F8E34E64844A62822AD8FE290DB614 at kos> you wrote:
> We are using MT46V8M16-6T DDR on a design very similar to the
> Lite5200B with ELDK4.1 / UBoot 1.2.0.

Hm... U-Boot 1.2.0 is very old. Please consider it obsolelte and
unsupported. Is there any special reason for not using current code?

> UBoot starts and we see serial output; but UBoot hangs on the very
> first read from DDR which is done in memsize.c:get_ram_size().
>
> The serial output is:
>     CPU:   MPC5200 v2.2, Core v1.4 at 462 MHz
>            Bus 132 MHz, IPB 66 MHz, PCI 33 MHz
>     Board: JKC5200N7
>     I2C:   85 kHz, ready
>     DRAM:
>
> We are pretty sure the DDR configuration is correct, but we would have
> thought this would not cause get_ram_size() to hang - merely return 0
> or incorrect memory size.

You are almost certainly wron - either your hardware or your DDR
initialization is broken. See also the FAQ at
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/UBootCrashAfterRelocation

Please also note that U-Boot related questions like this one should
better go to the U-Boot mailing list; see

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
In the pitiful, multipage, connection-boxed form to which  the  flow-
chart  has  today  been  elaborated, it has proved to be useless as a
design tool -- programmers draw flowcharts after, not before, writing
the programs they describe.                        - Fred Brooks, Jr.