[ELDK] linux 2.6.24 hangs after print "Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK"

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Mon Oct 26 12:10:27 CET 2009

Hello,

> Does uboot-1.3.1 does not sopport
> bootm 0x2000000 - 0x3000000

You can find out for yourself - what does "help bootm" show?  If your
U-Bpoot supports booting with an FDT, you'll see something like:

=> help bootm
bootm - boot application image from memory

Usage:
bootm [addr [arg ...]]
    - boot application image stored in memory
    passing arguments 'arg ...'; when booting a Linux kernel,
    'arg' can be the address of an initrd image
    When booting a Linux kernel which requires a flat device-tree
    a third argument is required which is the address of the
    device-tree blob. To boot that kernel without an initrd image,
    use a '-' for the second argument. If you do not pass a third
    a bd_info struct will be passed instead

> what I do is:
> tftpboot 0x2000000 uImage
> tftpboot 0x3000000 mpc8272ads.dtb
> bootm 0x2000000 - 0x3000000
>
> But it seems not work,uboot rebooted after print:
>
> ## Booting iamge at 0x2000000
>      Image Name:     Linux-2.6.24.2
>      Image Type:      PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
>      Date Size:         1446100 Bytes = 1.4 MB
>      Load Address: 00000000
>      Entry Point:  00000000
>      Verifying Checksum ... OK
>      Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
> B?
>
> bootm 0x2000000 - 0x3000000 makes uboot to load RAMDIsk at 0x00000000??
> it seems mpc8272.dtb has not been used?

Yes, it seems your U-Boot is too old to support booting with FDTs.  You
basically now have two choices, either update your U-Boot (recommended)
or use the bootwrapper code in the Linux kernel to wrap the flat device
tree into an "old-style" Linux kernel.  I would not recommend the latter
as it is pretty board specific and imho not tested too well.

> By the way,0x2000000 is 16 Mb which is enough for the kernel

Indeed, this should be sufficient.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
I have a computer on which I can install any code I choose.  I don't
think that is a security flaw.  On the contrary, if only one company