[ELDK] glibc change for eldk 3.1.1

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Fri Mar 26 13:43:59 CET 2010

Hi Levend,

> We do the same build of very same code of BerkelyDB + openldap on PC
> which runs 2.6 kernel.  Everything is just fine there.

So?  What did you prove that it works with NPTL + 2.6.

> But on ppc platform, it is not. So what is different between two platform ?
> kernel and glibc.

Exactly.

> So I prefered less risky way. I mean changing glibc 2.3.1 to
> 2.3.3.

But this is only _half_ the difference.  Do you expect that the other
difference vanishes into thin air?

Also changing glibc means you have to recompile _all packages inside
ELDK_ against the new toolchain, effectively building your own private
version of the ELDK.

I'm really not sure how you come to feel that changing glibc is "less
risky".  Do you have any experience with such an operation, i.e. did you
_actually_ do such a switch before in a different project?

> Changing kernel from 2.4 to 2.6 , as you know, has more impact

You keep saying this, but let me tell you that if you have a working 2.4
and 2.6 kernel, then this switch is not so problematic as it seems _for
userspace_.

Of course if you have an out-of-tree 2.4 kernel and need to forward port
all those changes, it will have a lot of impact.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
UN Resolution by the General Assembly on December 31, 1988 condemning
"Terrorism Wherever and by Whomever Committed":  153 votes to 2.