[ELDK] glibc change for eldk 3.1.1

Levend Sayar levend.sayar at karel.com.tr
Fri Mar 26 14:38:27 CET 2010

Hi, Detlev,

> So?  What did you prove that it works with NPTL + 2.6.

Yes it works on NPTL + 2.6. Also it works on RedHat 9.0 which is based on 2.4.20 kernel + 2.3.2
 glibc + 0.29 NPTL. Buy you said this is backport. OK.

> But this is only _half_ the difference.  Do you expect that the other
> difference vanishes into thin air?

You are right.

> Also changing glibc means you have to recompile _all packages inside
> ELDK_ against the new toolchain, effectively building your own private
> version of the ELDK.

I did not notice this. If this is case, be sure I will not do this.
I though 2.3.1 -> 2.3.3 change will not change too much.

> I'm really not sure how you come to feel that changing glibc is "less
> risky".  Do you have any experience with such an operation, i.e. did you
> _actually_ do such a switch before in a different project?

No I did not try this before.

> You keep saying this, but let me tell you that if you have a working 2.4
> and 2.6 kernel, then this switch is not so problematic as it seems _for
> userspace_.
>
> Of course if you have an out-of-tree 2.4 kernel and need to forward port
> all those changes, it will have a lot of impact.

I changed kernel a little bit for CompactFlash, fpga, spi rtc support.
I did not use ELDK 4.2. Just downloaded. I want to try it later. Kernel change
is not problematic for userspace of course. But we have many drivers. We have to recompile them.
And I did not write all the drivers. So I did not want to bother other developers in my team for this extra work.

_lvnd_
 (^_^)