[tbot] Release 0.7.0

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Sun Mar 3 17:12:54 UTC 2019

Hallo Harald,

On 03/03/19 14:14, Harald Seiler wrote:
> Hi Stefano,
>
> On Sat, 2019-03-02 at 21:09 +0100, Stefano Babic wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
> [...]
>>
>> I updated to 0.7 - I have some questions:
>>
>> - even running with checked-in boards and lab, I get errors due to
>> missing kconfig module:
>
> Oh, sorry, tbot-denx requires latest tbot from the development branch.
> I'll add this to the README.

Ok - should we not have a -devel branch for tbot-denx, too ?

>> - checking the code, it looks to me that boards and labs are much more
>> correlated together instead to be orthogonal. In fact, I forked "mira"
>> to let it running in my lab.
>>
>> class Mira(denx.Board):
>>      name = "phymira"
>>      lab_name = "pollux"
>>
>> Why the board must have the name of the lab ? I have expected that it is
>> only set into lab, that is lab_name = lh.lab_name (if we want to have it).
>
> This is intended, because the `Board` is lab-specific (it contains power and
> console commands which are very lab specific ...).  If you want a dual lab setup,
> I'd suggest something along the lines of
>
> 	class DenxMira(denx.Board):
> 	    name = "phymira"
> 	    lab_name = "pollux"
>
> 	class YourMira(augsburg.Board):
> 	    name = "mira"
> 	    lab_name = "augsburg"
>
> 	if tbot.selectable.LabHost.name == "pollux":
> 	    BOARD = DenxMira
> 	elif tbot.selectable.LabHost.name = "augsburg":
> 	    BOARD = YourMira
> 	else:
> 	    raise Exception("lab not supported")

Yes, I think we have already had this discussion, I did this firstly. My
dream is that I can put all my lab specific stuff in lab and board is
unaware of it, so that I can run "tbot -b mira.py -l pollux.py" or "tbot
-b mira.py -l augsburg.py" without changing anything in the board. I
just drive with my board to another lab and I can still run all test cases.

> I know this is not ideal and I already have some experimental changes to tbot
> for a better system in the future.  I will update tbot-denx and a planned
> reference/example repo to reflect these changes once they are upstream ...

ok, got it.

> The config issue we can see here is very important to be solved right,

Agree.

> which is
> why I am hesitant to rush a solution that might need to be changed again in the
> future.

Fine with me, I thought it was already solved ;-)

>  Although I will push a proposal to a new branch as soon as possible so
> you can give feedback if it covers all cases you need ...

Regards,
Stefano

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de