[U-Boot] problem doing rebase in fresh git.denx.de/u-boot.git clone

Peter Vollmer remllov_ at gmx.de
Thu Dec 11 17:53:41 CET 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:01:57 +0100, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:

>> ~$ git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git
>> ~/uboot$ git rebase v1.3.3
>
> What exactly do you expect this command to do?

I have some patches that apply against v1.3.3 and work fine. Moving
them to v2008.10 did not work so far, so I try to find a relevant change
somewhere in between v1.3.3 and v2008.10 by bisecting, and I wanted to fit
in a couple of needed changes to my patches (renamed #defines etc.) at the
right place in the timeline using "git rebase -i" and replacing my commits,
so that at least the compilation will run through at any given point in
time
when bisecting it.

"git rebase -i v1.3.3" did not work, and then doing "git rebase v1.3.3" in
an
untouched fresh repository (i.e just branching of at tag v1.3.3, and
reapplying
all the patches between v1.3.3 and HEAD) didn't work either.
I'm not sure if thats the normal behaviour of git-rebase, usually it
worked for
me like that. But then I never tried it with a complete upstream repository
before.

I guess I try without the rebase and just use "git merge" into a new
branch, which
should work without a problem.

Thanks

--