[U-Boot] problem doing rebase in fresh git.denx.de/u-boot.git clone

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Dec 11 21:54:13 CET 2008

Dear Peter,

In message <op.ul0bvrx72rocvy at tomo.bln.innominate.local> you wrote:

> >> ~$ git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git
> >> ~/uboot$ git rebase v1.3.3
> >
> > What exactly do you expect this command to do?
>
> I have some patches that apply against v1.3.3 and work fine. Moving
> them to v2008.10 did not work so far, so I try to find a relevant change
> somewhere in between v1.3.3 and v2008.10 by bisecting, and I wanted to fit

You did not answer my question.

You showed us a sequence  of  two  commands:  git-clone  followed  by
git-rebase, and complain that it doesn't wor as expected.

You are missing something - either, you miss to describe some
additional steps you did between these two commands (in which case we
have no chance to comment at all), or you miss how git works.

If you have a patchset against v1.3.3, my approach would be to create
a branch, for example like this:

	git-checkout -b my-test-branch v1.3.3

then apply the patches, commit these, and then (with "my-test-branch"
checked out), you could try a "git-rebase -i master".

But  you  don't  mention  any  branch  creation  or  similar,  and  a
git-rebase  immediately  after a git-clone just doesn't make sense to
me.

> "git rebase -i v1.3.3" did not work, and then doing "git rebase v1.3.3" in
> an
> untouched fresh repository (i.e just branching of at tag v1.3.3, and
> reapplying
> all the patches between v1.3.3 and HEAD) didn't work either.

Again - what exactly do you expect this command to do? It makes no
sense to me, at least as you describe it.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
How come everyone's going so slow if it's called rush hour?