[U-Boot] include/autoconf.mk:212: *** missing separator. Stop.

Becky Bruce beckyb at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Dec 16 16:18:00 CET 2008

On Dec 16, 2008, at 6:35 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Hi all...
>
> When running "MAKEALL", I see occasional
>
> /home/wd/git/u-boot/work/include/autoconf.mk:212: *** missing
> separator.  Stop.
>
> errors for some boards. The line numbers are changing (57,  85,  113,
> 129,  183,  212,  215  etc.),  and so are the affected boards (barco,
> kilauea, MPC8544DS, neo, PM856, sequoia). But the build continues  to
> run and completes successfully without additional warnigns or errors.
> Repeating the build will show the problem with other line numbers and
> other boards.
>
> The problem is obviously related  to  running  parallel  build  (this
> happens on a 4 core system); if I use a single make job it goes away.
>
> It looks as if some build step was using autoconf.mk before the task
> building it has completed.
>
> I've searched, but did not find any place where this could happen.
>
> Is anybody else experiencing this problem?

Now that you mention this, I've occasionally seen this as well on
various ppc boards, and I always run a parallel build (4-way).  In my
case, repeating the build usually results in no errors.

But I haven't looked into it at all, so I'm afraid I'm not too helpful
here except to say that it's not just you.

Cheers,