[U-Boot] u-boot didn't mount ramdisk ...

mike xu clumsguy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 10:38:54 CET 2008

Hi Wolfgang,

Thank you for your reply & read inline below please.

Best regards,
Mike

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 5:50 AM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> Dear Mike,
>
> In message <7103aeea0812180831y258494c4obe34e934f87450f5 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> You are correct, U-Boot does not load the RAMdisk image since the
>> image is already stored in NOR flash memory. Sorry for my
>> carelessness...
>> Below is the kernel start log, Could you please take a look into it
>> and give my any suggestions?
>
> That's difficult for me, given the fact that I don't  know  how  your
> kernel was modified and/or configured.
I am using standard kernel of version 2.6.21.7. And only few changes
to adapt the hardware board.

>> => setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/ram0 ro mem=100M
>
> You might have to pass an address for the inital ramdisk as  part  of
> the  bootargs;  I  don't  know how your kernel passes such parameters
> between boot loader and kernel.  And  even  then  your  kernel  might
> expect  that  the ramdisk image is in RAM, not in flash. As mentioned
> before, patches have been posted here several times. Search the  list
> archive, please.

I tried to pass initrd=0xa0a00000,16M into the kernel command line,
but kernel still reports "Initrd not found or empty"...
btw: 0xa0a00000 is a memory address. my flash space is from BF000000
to BFFE0000 which is a 64MB NOR flash.
Actually, I just want the kernel to use the ramdisk in memory as its rootfs.