[U-Boot] standalone apps and their use of exported functions

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Nov 5 14:52:58 CET 2009

Dear Valentin Ecker,

In message <6806058A-4EA5-44F9-80D9-410C42869504 at gmail.com> you wrote:
> so there is no solution without messing in the code?

Link your application with U-Boot?

> are there any intentions in explicitly NOT changing these 3 files ([_]
> exports.{h|c}) in the future? So that a patch will still be working in
> future versions?

This question makes no sense to me. A patch is only needed until your
code is in mainline, and then it should be working in future versions
automatically. And the  standalone  application  is  separated  by  a
well-defined  interface,  which  should also be upward compatible, to
that would keep working, too.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I think there's a world market for about five computers.
         -- attr. Thomas J. Watson (Chairman of the Board, IBM), 1943