[U-Boot] Question about patches

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Tue Jul 20 09:50:55 CEST 2010

Fabio Giovagnini wrote:
> Hi all,
> for sending a patch do I need to have on my PC two u-bbot tree, one original
> obtaned by git command, and another to make the modifications?
>
> Or can I produce the patches using the original tree resident on git server?
>
> Thanks

Hi Fabio,

you get an introduction how to send patches to ML here:

http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/Patches

And you get a lot of docs on git on kernel.org. In your case, you do not
need to work directly with patch, git makes the job for you.
all you need is:

- make your changes in your tree (if you want to make things simple)
- git commit (be sure to add your signed-off and to set a useful comment)
- git format patch HEAD~1 (or better check the man page for it..)

That's all. I suggest you to use git send-email to send your patch to
the ML to avoid some corruption by your e-mail client.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de