[U-Boot] [U-Boot, v2 1/6] cmd_sf: Add print messages on flash erase command

Jagan Teki jagannadh.teki at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 06:50:04 CET 2012

Hi Wolfgang Denk,

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> Dear Jagan Teki,
>
> In message <CAD6G_RRw=YgbYtkwaZMC=KaS_5Lbfbm+fR-=LV96aOY72W383w at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> Apart from this sometimes (very rare) due to the slowness of UART or SPI flash
>> even if we run the sf commands it will not execute the actual code
>> just terminate with showing
>> u-boot prompt, so the user assumes that this command is happen
>> properly. [but actually command is not done]
>
> But that would be a different thing - if there are errors without
> clear error messages, this is a bug that needs fixing.  [But I do not
> see which part of your patch would address such an issue.  Am I
> missing something?]

Basically if there is an error while executing these commands,
then this print will show an :ERROR based on the return value from
spi_flash_erase.
---- of-course there is a verbose print already if spi_flash_erase
returns 1 (error case).

OK, I agree my patch will show only verbose prints for both in Success
and Failure cases.

I thought it could be a good progress prints for sf read/write/erase
commands as we didn't have
these verbose prints before.

Do you think these are useful/required messages?, please take my above concerns.

Thanks,
Jagan.