[U-Boot] Skipping relocation RAM to RAM, esp. on i.MX6?

Aneesh V aneesh at ti.com
Wed Feb 8 07:43:52 CET 2012

Dear Wolfgang,

On Wednesday 08 February 2012 04:56 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Aneesh V,
>
> In message<4F30D06E.8060200 at ti.com>  you wrote:
>>
>> I agree. Even on some platforms that are not fully static (such as having
>> variants with different memory sizes) the minimum available memory is
>> more than enough to allocate big enough partitions for each need at
>> U-Boot level. And my guess (or rather speculation) is that platforms
>> that do not have any real dynamic needs are in the majority. I sincerely
>> believe that platforms should be allowed to enable/disable
>> relocation based on their needs.
>
> This is your opinion.  It is noted, and appreciated.
>
> But you should not try to continue to ignore all the previous
> discussion to that topic.  There have been no new arguments in this
> round, so there will be no change of the previously made decisions.

First of all I am not arguing in favor of taking it in the current
form. But as Graeme mentioned if the new initcall framework makes it
clean and maintainable I am hoping that you will consider it more
favorably. And this is indeed a new argument because the biggest
objection previously was that the no-relocation case will be difficult
to maintain.

As for ignoring comments, I think you are culpable of that more than me
in this specific instance:) (of course I know you are busy person, but
still..). For instance, my arguments in the previous round [1] never
got an answer from you.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/96371

best regards,
Aneesh