[U-Boot] Build u-Boot for NAND boot on i.MX53x platform

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Thu Feb 9 21:41:46 CET 2012

On 02/09/2012 02:04 PM, Charles Manning wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 February 2012 17:16:10 Bud Miljkovic wrote:
>> Can someone clue me in how one goes about a NAND bootable u-Boot?
>>

> Bud
>
> You can't actually run uboot from NAND per se. The rom boot loader reads the
> image into ram where it runs.
>
> Based on my experience with omap - which uses a very similar sequence - you
> need to configure the uboot to run from the desired location in RAM. The
> resulting uboot.bin must then be mashed in whatever way is appropriate for

On some hardware, the boot rom/logic will only load a small piece from
RAM (e.g. 4K).  U-Boot can be built with a prepended miniloader (SPL) to
fetch the main U-Boot image.  The details (and whether this is supported
at all) depend on what board you're talking about.  There is SPL support
for some i.MX chips -- not sure about i.MX53x.

-Scott