[U-Boot] BDM4GDB

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Feb 26 02:09:59 CET 2012

Dear Andrew Hakman,

In message <CABKuU7rqPno3fOZYQbrh=tDD9WcPVf9GHzPv_-rugwgFTy+ErA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Let me start by saying I realize this is a bit off topic, but there
> has been lots of discussion of BDM4GDB on this list in the past.
>
> Does anyone know where to currently get BDM4GDB from? The webpage that
> used to host it seems completely gone now, and it's not on
> sourceforge, or anywhere else that I can find. Does anyone just have
> it kicking around from before?

BDM4GDB is as dead as the BDM debug interface of the PQ1 (MPC8xx)
processors.  They have been dead for nearly a decade now.

> I'm also guessing there's a custom parallel interface for it? Anyone
> have that info?

There are a number of (usually USB attached) Jtag adapters supported
for example by the OpenOCD project.

Soem of them also claim to be BDM compatible, see for example
http://www.amontec.com/pub/amt_ann003.pdf

I have never tested such a combination myself, though.

> Is there any newer / other tool available to read and flash flash
> chips connected to a MPC860? Or do some simple debugging on it?

Well, of course there is and always has been the nice BDI2000 /
BDI3000 JTAG debuggers by Abatron ...  Sometimes you can get such
beasts relatively cheap on ebay... (especially Rev. B types which
don't work with more recent processors).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Backed up the system lately?