[U-Boot] Potential issue with recent OMAP PRCM struct unification

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Tue Apr 2 18:42:36 CEST 2013

On 04/02/2013 11:55 AM, Sricharan R wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 April 2013 08:47 PM, Tom Rini wrote:

>> [snip]

>>> Yes, thats why we still have kept it for testing. But now,
>>> there are already patches to fix this in the kernel being
>>> posted, and probably all of them should be fixed shortly. Once
>>> that is done, all of this can be removed.
>>
>> So, here's my 2 cents on this.  We can't up and drop these
>> options from U-Boot until there's a complete / viable kernel
>> tthhat doesn't need them.  I'm _not_ saying we need to test every
>> patchset vs an old kernel or anything, but we shouldn't
>> intentionally make life harder on folks, until we can just pull
>> the option all together (and say use a new kernel, or an older
>> u-boot).
>>
> Hmm, Agree this should not be broken unintentionally. But because
> we purposefully deprecated this, kernel is now getting fixed.
> Fixing any thing towards this deprecated one, will again introduce
> the luxury of not addressing in kernel, which is not good. If we
> propose of removing this in U-BOOT after every thing is fixed in
> kernel, we still will have of need of supporting for older
> kernels..

Yes, I'm assuming the kernel folks to continue with adding clocks they
need in the right places now that the main event has happened and we
aren't enabling more things until / unless we need them.  And since I
think that's going at reasonable speed, I don't think we need to draw
a dated line in the sand, just one that says we shall remove the
option, once a reasonable (read: most IO works) kernel tree is
available that doesn't need this, we can remove it.  Maybe we can set
a hope to remove date?  How about v2013.07?

- --
Tom