[U-Boot] u-boot boot process is broken, how do i recover?

JPT j-p-t at gmx.net
Wed Apr 3 13:30:46 CEST 2013

hi,

Am 03.04.2013 11:00, schrieb Albert ARIBAUD:

>> apt-get install uboot-envtools
>> fw_printenv bootcmd
>
> No result there? There should be.

sure.
it's what I set into bootcmd.bak:

>> fw_setenv bootcmd.bak 'nand read.e 0x1200000 0x200000 0x600000;nand
>> read.e 0x2000000 0x800000 0x1000000;bootm 0x1200000 0x2000000'

the outputs all looked fine, after I changed the offset in config file
to 0x0. Else I wouln't have written anything. But still I am not 100%
sure about the sector size of 0x20000 (128KByte)

> Yes: get control through JTAG.

Ok. I'll try.

> Don't consider unsoldering / resoldering, all the more if sockets are
> involved, as long as you board has JTAG, either as a header or at least
> as contact points. A dumb JTAG probe and OpenOCD will cost you little
> and go a long way.

I've got the following soldering points:

- a 1x3 Pin at 2,54mm connector labeld J7 which could be a FAN connector.

- a 2x5=10 PIN at 2mm  connector J1 near the ROM chip.

both connectors are on this picture:
http://natisbad.org/NAS/pics/NETGEAR_ReadyNAS_Duo_v2_RND2000-200EUS_J1_and_J7_provisions.jpg

- 1x4 PIN @ 2,54mm connector.

So which one?
Do I have to guess the pins?

which probe should I chose? Something like these?
- Embedded Projects OpenOCD-USB Adapter
- Xilinx JTAG Parallel Cable III FPGA CPLD programmer LPT
- SainSmart USB Blaster Programmer Cable For FPGA CPLD JTAG Development
Board
- found a LPT programmer having nothing more than a 74HC244 chip.

Id' prefer the USB adapter...

btw, I found out there is a boot menu.
When I hold the reset button during bootup, there is a boot menu offering:

    Normal.

    Factory default.
I believe it loads the initrd to reformat the harddrives.

    OS Re-install.
Installs the root fs to hard drive from JFFS rom.

    Skip volume check.

    Memory test.
Performs a memory test.

    Disk test.
Maybe Smart test.

I tried most. They all freeze after printing "net: egiga..." except
memory test.
Won't help much, I believe, since most rely on the boot process which is
broken.

JPT