[U-Boot] OMAP (4) boot_params

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Apr 4 07:52:48 CEST 2013

Dear Tom,

In message <20130403164215.GK7035 at bill-the-cat> you wrote:

> > ... except, as I said above, at this point your code should not write at
> > all, be int in BSS or data, until the C environment is set up. So...
>
> But we have to save this ROM-passed information before we overwrite it
> ourselves (by accident or purpose).

Thete are two official places for data storage before the full C
runtime environment is available: the stack, and the "global data"
structure.

> But I think, and need to re-read this thread a bit more, part of the
> solution is to rename jump_to_image_no_args as jump_to_image_uboot, keep
> it __weak and provide one that deals with this (and perhaps more cleanly
> deals with VIRTIO/ZEBU image_entry).  And after that we can talk about
> moving things that can't be in the BSS out of the data section and into
> another section.

Adding another section makes things more complicated, but not really
better.  If you can provide writable storage, then you could also use
it in a more regular way, say for a writable data segment, or bigger
stack, or malloc space, or ... so it is generally useful instead of
only this special case here.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.  - William Faulkner