[U-Boot] bootm does not work if netconsole is enabled

Michael Walle michael at walle.cc
Wed Apr 10 12:07:36 CEST 2013

On Wed, April 10, 2013 03:51, Joe Hershberger wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I just tested this on my Zynq target and it worked.  However, you make
> a good point that it is possible for there to be more traces after the
> eth_halt call.  I can't imagine the stack would like that in all
> situations (since eth_init() will not be called again by netconsole).
> I think the solution to this is probably to disable netconsole somehow
> before the eth_halt command, so subsequent prints do not try to use
> Ethernet again.  However, most of the things you might switch to are
> conditional, such as a nulldev or silent.  Any thoughts on how you
> would like to see it solved?

Hi Joe,

disabling the network console before control is handed over to an
operating system sounds reasonable.

If i understand you correctly, the network will only be halted once the
bootloader starts an operating system. Then what do you think about making
either the nc_send_packet() or nc_putc()/nc_puts() function a noop when
the network is halted?

--
michael