[U-Boot] offer: program to deal with kirkwood "boot from UART"

JPT j-p-t at gmx.net
Fri Apr 12 14:27:37 CEST 2013

Am 08.04.2013 21:17, schrieb Jason Cooper:
> Jan,
>
> On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 11:14:25AM +0200, JPT wrote:
>> during my dealing with the bricked kirkwood board I wrote an app
>> which automates the process of booting from UART.
>> It's rather stable now, except right now it doesn't work any more.
>
> Never was a more contradictory sentence uttered ;-)

LOL

 > Very nice!  Please take a look at tools/kwboot.c.  It is the current
 > in-tree tool doing the job you have set out.  However, it doesn't have
 > as many features as your code appears to have.

as soon as I realized Kirkwood boot is integrated into u-boot, I should
have searched for a kw client... o.O
Well, didn't...

 > Could you lay out your patches to add missing features to kwboot?  It
 > would facilitate review, and would avoid duplicate tools in the source
 > tree.

Well. I am sorry, I wasn't planning integration into u-boot source tree.
- it's pascal (I don't know c/cpp very well)
- it uses a rather fat opensource communication library (synapse, 1.5 MB
of pascal source)

Since I am done with recovering my NAS, I won't continue work on this.

Any idea where to anyway provide the source?
I could upload it where I wrote the guide on upgrading my Netgear NAS.
http://netgear.nas-central.org/wiki/ReadyNasDUO-200_customisation_guide

But... xmodem boot solves only far less problems than the custom
emergency boot holding the backup button. So for the Netgear NAS it's
useless. But maybe it's of use if I put it into a more general section
on http://www.nas-central.org/

Jan