[U-Boot] Displaying characters on the display in u-boot

Bhargav A K bhargav.ak at sasken.com
Fri Apr 19 17:59:33 CEST 2013

Hi All,

I have enabled the following configurations.
in my board's config header

#define CONFIG_VGA_AS_SINGLE_DEVICE
#define CONFIG_VIDEO
#define CONFIG_CFB_CONSOLE

video_hw_init() returns a pointer to GraphicsDevice structure.

It does the following
omap4_GD.winSizeX = 480; //__raw_readl()
omap4_GD.winSizeY = 800;
omap4_GD.gdfBytesPP = 4;
omap4_GD.gdfIndex = GDF_32BIT_X888RGB;

__raw_writel(0xA5000000, DISPC_GFX_BA0);
omap4_GD.frameAdrs = __raw_readl(DISPC_GFX_BA0);

initDisplay(); // Do all other clocks, GPIOs, OMAP4 registers specific for LCD(DSI, DISPC, DSS).

board_video_init() is just a dummy call.

I did a console_assign() to redirect stderr and stdout to vga.
All the printf's doesn't come on the serial console or the LCD.

I tried using the video_drawstring(10, 20, "hello world"),
after resetting the stdout to serial. I see all the "printf's" on the
serial console, but the string from video_drawstring()(hello world)
won't come on the LCD even after syncing LCD pipelines (GO_LCD in OMAP4470).

Then I just exported the lcd_drawchars() function into my LCD code,
tried to write characters to the LCD, nothing came onto the screen.

Please point out where I am going wrong.

Kind regards
Bhargav