[U-Boot] Add filesystem support

Pietro Paolini pulsarpietro at aol.com
Wed Apr 24 14:29:46 CEST 2013

On Apr 23, 2013, at 5:54 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:

> Dear Pietro Paolini,
>
> In message <51C80AA5-303E-4737-864C-6D05577D19E7 at aol.com> you wrote:
>>
>> I am working on an embedded system which we would like upgrade using a new filesystem YAFFS2 instead of the old JFFS2, we actually mount the JFFS2
>> partition from U-Boot and then we start  the kernel. I looked in the boot source tree we actually use and I did not find YAFFS2 (or UBIFS ..)
>
> Hm... I recommend to look at the mailine U-Boot tree instead:
>
> 	-> ls fs
> 	Makefile  cbfs  cramfs  ext4  fat  fdos  fs.c  jffs2  reiserfs
> 	sandbox  ubifs  yaffs2  zfs
>
>> under the fs/ folder, then I assume I don't have it. I'd like add that support without update the whole uboot source tree, is it possible or is too much complicated ?
>
> This depends a lot on which exact version of U-Boot you are running
> now, but given the fact that you see neither yaffs2 nor ubifs it
> appears to be _very_ old, so you're probably out of luck.
>
> On the other hand - switching to mainline code is usually a very good
> idea anyway, so go for that.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk
>
> --
> "You'll pay to know what you really think."        - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Hello Wolfgang,
thank you so much.
I have got another question :-)

If I see under the fs/ the yaffs2/ and the ubifs/ folders I can assume that I can read and write them
from uboot or there are some limitations like I can read but I can't write ? In the U-Boot website I was not able to
find a list of filesystem supported, my fault I guess.

Best Regards,
Pietro.