[U-Boot] [RFC] Tigon III (bcm57xx) Driver on fsl platforms

Ben Collins ben.c at servergy.com
Fri Dec 20 17:02:01 CET 2013

On Dec 20, 2013, at 2:01 AM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:

> Dear Ben Collins,
>
> Please don't top post / full quote.

I top posted because I didn't want to underpost each comment. I full quoted because I was on my phone. It's ok.

> In message <DC9085B5-25ED-465A-B42F-B243FC9D78A2 at servergy.com> you wrote:
>> To answer most of your questions, I'm not entirely worried about the issues
>> you are, I am just looking for help getting it working right now. I'll cross
>> the license/submit bridge when I get to it.
>
> Hm... I would expect it was easier to get the Linux driver adapted.
> There is a large number of issues (techincal and formal) with the code
> you have, so adapting it so make it acceptable for U-Boot looks like a
> major reqork to me.

Obviously you haven't looked at the Linux driver. It's twice as much code (the code I sent is 1/2 of what the original BGE driver is and 1/4 of what the Linux driver is). While I know the tg3 Linux driver is a great driver, it was an exceptional amount of work to get it ported. I need this driver done yesterday.

The one "technical issue" you pointed out is in fact not a technical issue. The driver uses writel/readl (follow the macros). I have only begun to port this driver and as such, a lot of wrappers are still there to alleviate a lot of code changes from the original driver to make it easier to compare and contrast during this initial porting phase.

Seriously, I don't want this driver reviewed from an inclusion perspective. Obviously you didn't see the top of my post where I said "RFC" and how I was asking with help with functional issues concerning this driver. Please ignore it until I send a formal request to include something.

--
Ben Collins - Principal Architect
Servergy, Inc. - www.servergy.com