[U-Boot] [RFC][PULL-REQ] MTD update

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Wed Jan 2 16:33:33 CET 2013

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 08:24:00AM +0530, Vikram Narayanan wrote:
> On 12/28/2012 7:29 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
> >On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 07:17:42AM -0500, Sergey Lapin wrote:
> >
> >>Hi, all!
> >>
> >>As I failed to submit 250KB patch to the list
> >>I will send this pull request
> >>
> >>This patch is not for inclusion yet.
> >>This patch is just update of u-boot MTD with
> >>Linux kernel's MTD v3.8-rc.
> >
> >First, while I appreciate the effort, I'd rather us sync with v3.7
> >release rather than the in-flux v3.8.  Second, can you please look at
> >the archives about how we've done these re-syncs before?  I really don't
> >want to take a single giant patch and we're usually able to break this
> >up into chunks.  Thanks!
>
> Can someone point to the exact thread where such discussion has
> happened before?
>
> The re-sync has to happen addressing the bisect-ability as well.
>
> Already there was a discussion on syncing the UBI layer. So, if some
> ideas are thrown, it would be beneficial for both MTD and UBI sync.

What I was thinking of was:
http://en.usenet.digipedia.org/thread/11185/23221/
http://en.usenet.digipedia.org/thread/11185/23218/
http://en.usenet.digipedia.org/thread/11185/28371/

But, from a lazy-poke of a single file, once we get out from the
includes section of the files, some git format-patch'ing on the files we
share with the kernel, between the last backport hash and v3.7 for
example should be applicable with only a bit of hand fixing up.  And if
one wanted to do this slowly (3.0 to 3.1 to 3.2 to ...) it might be a
little easier to manage.

--
Tom