[U-Boot] [RFC][PULL-REQ] MTD update

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Thu Jan 3 04:22:48 CET 2013

On 01/02/2013 09:33:33 AM, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 08:24:00AM +0530, Vikram Narayanan wrote:

> > >First, while I appreciate the effort, I'd rather us sync with v3.7
> > >release rather than the in-flux v3.8.  Second, can you please look
> at
> > >the archives about how we've done these re-syncs before?  I really
> don't
> > >want to take a single giant patch and we're usually able to break
> this
> > >up into chunks.  Thanks!
> >
> > Can someone point to the exact thread where such discussion has
> > happened before?

"git log driver/mtd/nand_base.c" and look for "sync". :-)

> > The re-sync has to happen addressing the bisect-ability as well.
> >
> > Already there was a discussion on syncing the UBI layer. So, if some
> > ideas are thrown, it would be beneficial for both MTD and UBI sync.
>
> What I was thinking of was:
> http://en.usenet.digipedia.org/thread/11185/23221/
> http://en.usenet.digipedia.org/thread/11185/23218/
> http://en.usenet.digipedia.org/thread/11185/28371/
>
> But, from a lazy-poke of a single file, once we get out from the
> includes section of the files, some git format-patch'ing on the files
> we
> share with the kernel, between the last backport hash and v3.7 for
> example should be applicable with only a bit of hand fixing up.  And
> if
> one wanted to do this slowly (3.0 to 3.1 to 3.2 to ...) it might be a
> little easier to manage.

That's probably overkill, though breaking it into two or three version
jumps would improve the ability to bisect where problems come from.  In
any case, the size of the patch should go down once it stops merging in
things that were deliberately left out of U-Boot.

-Scott