[U-Boot] [RFC]: always relocate u-boot before the framebuffer

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Wed Jan 2 16:48:54 CET 2013

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 03:54:25PM +0100, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Lukasz Majewski,
>
> In message <20121231153353.2d9a5dda at amdc308.digital.local> you wrote:
> >
> > > -       addr = lcd_setmem(addr);
> > > -       gd->fb_base = addr;
> > > +       gd->fb_base = lcd_setmem(addr);
> > >  #endif /* CONFIG_FB_ADDR */
> > > +       /* always continue placement below the frame buffer to not
> > > overlap */
> >
> > Good idea. I will test it and let you know.
>
> Please see my responses.  This is definitely NOT a good idea, it will
> break most (all?) boards that use CONFIG_FB_ADDR in the way it was
> intended for.

I think this means we've got people not understanding what the variable
IS for.  And at the high level, the idea of "lets transition from U-Boot
to Linux without a flicker" is good.  So, what is the variables we
should be using for this, today?  Or do we need to add and document
more?  Or are we all just failing to RTFM here?

--
Tom