[U-Boot] [RFC] Is anyone interested IPv6 support for u-boot

Joe Hershberger joe.hershberger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 20:16:04 CET 2013

Hi Chris,

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Chris Packham <judge.packham at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here at $dayjob we make embedded network devices (routers & switches).
> Because we have an interest in getting people to adopt IPv6 we've added code
> to our local u-boot repository to add basic IPv6 support on our boards. It's
> not a fully conformant IPv6 host implementation but it is enough to be able
> to statically configure an IPv6 address and download images from a v6
> capable TFTP server.
>
> We're trying to be better FLOSS citizens so I'm proposing to my colleagues
> that we put some effort in getting this pushed upstream. The first step of
> which would be to see if anyone wants the feature and is the /net maintainer
> willing to take on this code (not that we intend to dump and run).

I'm certainly interested in entertaining any network stack patches,
and IPv6 support is certainly useful.

> Our existing code is a little too tightly coupled to our out of tree board
> support so I don't have a preliminary patchset to provide. If there is
> interest I'll work on porting it from our tree to a vanilla u-boot tree (we
> have a couple of supported eval boards around).

Please make sure you have a look at
http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/Patches if you haven't already.  That
will make it much easier to accept your patches.  You may also want to
use the patman and buildman tools to help you manage your
patch-series.

Thanks in advance,
-Joe