[U-Boot] [RFC] Is anyone interested IPv6 support for u-boot

Chris Packham judge.packham at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 22:34:44 CET 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM, Joe Hershberger
<joe.hershberger at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Chris Packham <judge.packham at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Here at $dayjob we make embedded network devices (routers & switches).
> > Because we have an interest in getting people to adopt IPv6 we've added
> code
> > to our local u-boot repository to add basic IPv6 support on our boards.
> It's
> > not a fully conformant IPv6 host implementation but it is enough to be
> able
> > to statically configure an IPv6 address and download images from a v6
> > capable TFTP server.
> >
> > We're trying to be better FLOSS citizens so I'm proposing to my
> colleagues
> > that we put some effort in getting this pushed upstream. The first step
> of
> > which would be to see if anyone wants the feature and is the /net
> maintainer
> > willing to take on this code (not that we intend to dump and run).
>
> I'm certainly interested in entertaining any network stack patches,
> and IPv6 support is certainly useful.

OK. I'll try and get started as soon as I get a chance. Might need to get
some clearance from $overlords to spend work time on it (or $wife to spend
spare time on it). Should I base the patches on git://
git.denx.de/u-boot-net.git or the main u-boot.git or something else?

> > Our existing code is a little too tightly coupled to our out of tree
> board
> > support so I don't have a preliminary patchset to provide. If there is
> > interest I'll work on porting it from our tree to a vanilla u-boot tree
> (we
> > have a couple of supported eval boards around).
>
> Please make sure you have a look at
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/Patches if you haven't already.  That
> will make it much easier to accept your patches.  You may also want to
> use the patman and buildman tools to help you manage your
> patch-series.

Yep will do. Part of the reason I haven't sent what we've got currently is
that it would be a big amorphous dump of code and I don't want to waste
peoples time when I should be able to break it up into a series of logical
commits.