[U-Boot] BDI3000 - Unprotect flash sectors

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Fri Jan 11 10:31:19 CET 2013

Hi Georg,

On 01/11/2013 08:41 AM, Waibel Georg wrote:
> i'm not sure if this is the right place for this question...however,
> here it is:
>
> i'm using a BDI3000 to program uboot to the flash (Spansion S29GL512P)
> on a MPC5200B base board. Erasing / Programming works fine as long as
> the flash sectors are not protected (via PPB bit). On a protected
> sector the erase command fails (what makes sense). I thought I can
> use the unlock command to unprotect the sectors, but this command
> seems not to work:
>> unlock 0xfff00000 1000
> Unlocking flash at 0xfff00000
> # Invalid parameter for flash programming
>
> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Flash configuration:
> [FLASH]
> CHIPTYPE    MIRRORX16
> CHIPSIZE    0x04000000
> BUSWIDTH    16
> WORKSPACE   0x00000000

Yes, the BDI doesn't support the unlocking of the Advanced Locking Bits
(PPB) of these Spansion (and other manufacturers) type chips. You need
to manually unlock the sectors in the telnet BDI session by writing the
unlocking sequence to the sector(s). Or use U-Boot to do this (if possible).

Please note that some patches to better support this PPB locking have
been applied to mainline just now. And I also have some patches to
support this PPB (un)-locking in Linux a short while ago which are still
pending:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2012-December/045295.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks,