[U-Boot] Virtex 4 with XMD

Rommel Custodio sessyargc+uboot at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 11:33:51 CET 2013

Rommel Custodio <sessyargc+uboot <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Dear Frank,
>
> >Frank Lombardo <fastfrank <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > So, that leaves me with the following questions:
> > 1) Is the lack of flash memory causing THIS problem?
> > 2) Am I missing some config items?
> > 3) Does anybody have any advice on how I can debug this?
>
> I'm on an ML507 and I use the default configuration for u-boot. So try the
> defaults (SYS_TEXT_BASE and RESET_VECTOR_ADDRESS) first.

Sorry, the defaults won't work in your case. I didn't notice that you only have
64Mb earlier.

> I used the instructions here when I used XMD:
> <http://wiki.xilinx.com/powerpc-linux>
> Just change the kernel ELF file for the u-boot ELF file.
>
> There are two targets for all the u-boot supported Xilinx boards in the
> boards.cfg. The one for Flash has "_flash" so it's very easy to differentiate.

After successfully downloading the u-boot ELF to RAM, dump the first few words
at the load address (SYS_TEXT_BASE). It should be a jump to _start. You could
also disassemble your u-boot.

I built xilinx-ppc405-generic as a test and the first instruction is not a jump
to _start. In ppc440 RAM boot (ie for use in XMD) the first instruction is a
jump to _start_440 as this emulates going through the reset vector. IMHO, at the
moment, it seems 405 is broken for RAM boot.

I hope my understanding is correct. Would like to hear from the PowerPC guys in
the list.

All the best,
Rommel