[U-Boot] problem about PING error from PC to u-boot

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Tue May 7 14:05:18 CEST 2013

On 07/05/2013 11:18, du zhenhuan wrote:
> I'm still struggling with my mpc8315e board , customized with a DP83848
> PHY chip.
> after u-boot bootup , the LED of PHY link status is blinking,
> When  I use ping PC  FORM u-boot , it's OK.
>
> But when I ping u-boot FROM PC ,  it doesn't work and I just got timeout
> error etc.

What are you expecting ? U-Boot is not an OS, and there is no thread in
background answering requests from network. Except if netconsole is
used, network and the related drivers are not active when not used, I
mean when for example tftp or ping are not running.

If you want to have the network stack running, you should boot Linux.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de