[U-Boot] Beagle-XM: u-boot SPL fat support (was Re: [opensuse-arm] Beagleboard Xm CPU speed)

Alexander Graf agraf at suse.de
Fri May 10 20:58:50 CEST 2013

Am 10.05.2013 um 20:51 schrieb Tom Rini <trini at ti.com>:

> On 05/10/2013 02:31 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:

>>> If you can try current U-Boot or provide more details about the
>>> instability I'd appreciate it.
>>
>> Alrighty, we switched all images to upstream SPL now. Let's see
>> what happens :).
>
> Yay!

>>> That's fine and a decent idea.  I'd be happy to review patches
>>> to make this a clean option in SPL, even.  A plus of moving to
>>> mainline would be that ext4 is supported now too.
>>
>> Oh, with recent u-boot and the SPL approach for OMAP this already
>> is a pretty clean option. You only need to enable the CMD defines
>> and change the default bootcmd :).
>
> You should just be able to provide a uEnv.txt with your custom
> actual-boot command as uenvcmd.  What CMD defines do you need?  I'm
> quite open to enabling more as needed for real world cases.

Well, that would make the situation on OMAP slightly better, but wouldn't help on other SoCs. I think we should rather try and get a reasonably unified boot environment up across the board first :).

Worst case I would only have to s/fat/ext2/g at a single spot then. Or enable dynamic fs detection and use the respective helpers at that one spot.

Alex