[U-Boot] Beagle-XM: u-boot SPL fat support (was Re: [opensuse-arm] Beagleboard Xm CPU speed)

Alexander Graf agraf at suse.de
Sat May 11 09:40:13 CEST 2013

Am 11.05.2013 um 02:08 schrieb Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de>:

> Dear Alexander,
>
> In message <154A1277-6344-4AB8-9D98-58BBCC38C0F3 at suse.de> you wrote:
>>
>> Well, that would make the situation on OMAP slightly better, but
>> wouldn't help on other SoCs. I think we should rather try and get a
>> reasonably unified boot environment up across the board first :).
>
> Well, this all depends on which resources are available on the SoC
> in question.  If all you have is 4 kB on chip memory, then you will
> not be able to load the file system code at all.

Sure, and different boards also have different IO channels. But couldn't we define at least some tiers, with capable enough boards to run standard distros at least getting unified?

If you need to tailor the OS you want to execute there's little point in unifying the boot method for it. It's very valuable to have defaults across the board once you can run the same kernel and user space though.

Alex