[U-Boot] Limitations/Considerations when programming U-Boot

Oliver Stäbler oliver.staebler at bytesatwork.ch
Wed May 15 11:04:28 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I'm currently investigating the possibility of using a cryptographic
library in U-Boot to verify signatures during a fatload (or similar).

So my question is, what has to be considered when choosing a crypto library?

As far as I understood so far, U-Boot only implements a part of the C
Standard Library. So this has to be considered, right?

The README mentions that the stack space is very limited. Is this still
the case when the "shell" is loaded or is this just the case during
initialization?
If so, this means for a crypto library that it should not do a lot in
the stack, but prefer heap space?
Then again, are there any boundaries in using heap? Maybe increase
CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_LEN?

Is there anything else I have to consider?

Thanks,
Oliver