[U-Boot] disassembler ?

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Thu May 16 19:18:45 CEST 2013

Hi Brad,

On Thu, 16 May 2013 10:45:47 -0600, Brad Walker <bwalker at musings.com>
wrote:

> I noticed there is no support for a disassembler except for BedBug.
>
> I am working on a new processor and board for that processor. I'm in need
> of a disassembler for this work.
>
> I was thinking about adding a cmd_dis.c file as a stub and make the
> implementation exist in board/..
>
> Is this the right way to go as we are willing to release our code back to
> the community once it is completed. Ideas/comments about this are
> appreciated.

There is little too no point in having a disassembler command in U-Boot,
when one can usually talk to the target with a debugging probe that
will work with gdb, and thus allow using gdd's own disassembler.

(also, out of the target, objdump can disassemble an ELF binary)

The best location IMO for putting the disassembler is by adding support
for your new processor to gcc/gdb/objdump so that you have it not only
for U-Boot but for any other code you care to build for this processor.

> -brad w.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.