[U-Boot] u-boot USB question

Andreas Bießmann andreas.devel at googlemail.com
Fri May 17 07:54:33 CEST 2013

Hi Lance,

please do not top post.

On 17.05.13 04:20, Lance Beck wrote:
> Thanks Bo!
>
> My thinking with fw_printev (setenv) was that I would use it to set the environment variables
> from our user space app.

That's the intended use of fw_setenv ;)

> This way, we can control when the USB stick will be used for a kernel
> or rootfs upgrade.  Any thoughts on show this could be scripted and run?

As Bo mentioned. But why don't just do this in userspace?

First thing would be to have a script that stops services, remount
everything ro and write the respective blobs to /dev/mtdX.
Another solution (or enhancement) could be to spawn a kexec kernel and
do all the stuff in a clean environment.
The advantage of this solution is to have a full blown environment with
sophisticated UI. I think this is the most annoying thing in u-boot ...
we do lack a good environment for UI represented to the end user. Well,
we have to discuss if this is a drawback ;)

Best regards

Andreas Bießmann