[U-Boot] Building two different "SPL" for the same board?

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Fri May 17 20:06:07 CEST 2013

I am looking into reusing the SPL system initialization part for a very
minimalistic "SPL" which only initializes the board.

To give a bit of context, on the Allwinner CPUs there is a recovery boot
mode where data can be copied over USB and executed by the CPU. But most
of the board including DRAM controller is not initialized by default so
the very first thing you need to do is to upload & execute board
initialization code (but excluding CPU initialization).

Note: It is not really an SPL as all it does is initializing the board
and then returning control to the USB loader so additional code
(u-boot.bin) can be uploaded to DRAM and executed.

I have this implemented today partially out-of-tree leaching objects
from an u-boot build to build a binary with the initialization code. My
question is if it would make sense to try integrate this into the u-boot
tree somehow. Have something similar been done for any other board?

The current "code" is at
https://github.com/linux-sunxi/sunxi-tools/tree/master/felboot
mainly main.c (entry + stubs), the rest is only for a small printf and
is not needed.

Regards
Henrik