[U-Boot] disassembler ?

Brad Walker bwalker at musings.com
Thu May 23 19:13:53 CEST 2013

Sorry for being delayed on getting back to you on this. Work issues took
hold.

There were several good questions.

Let me give you some background.

I am working at a start-up. We are building a new processor and system for
that new processor. So we have hardware work and software work to get
through.

Part of my reasoning in asking the question about a disassembler is becuase
there is  a reference to BedBug in the manual.
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/U-Bootdoc/BedbugEmbeddedDebuggerCommands . As
well as, the BedBug debugger is in the source code.

So I'm trying to understand at a high level if I can utilize this work to
help me. Or should I just go and implement this independently.

Why not just use JTAG? We are doing new processor design, so it's not
defined if the system will even have a JTAG interface. There are lots of
systems that do not have a JTAG interface.

Why not use use objdump? We are in the process of porting binutils, so I
currently don't have an objdump to use. I do have a manual disassembly
routine that we created in h/w design to help us. But, until binutils has
been ported, there is no objdump.

I think the big issue that is confusing to me is why is BedBug still in
U-Boot? Should i try and graft my work into BedBug? If so, then I'm happy
to do the work and contribute it back to the group. But, if not, then I'll
just go ahead implement the work independently.

Hopefully, this makes sense. Feel free to ask questions.

-brad w.