[U-Boot] dfu: dfu and UBI Volumes

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon May 27 18:25:51 CEST 2013

Dear Heiko Schocher,

In message <51A30F34.7030603 at denx.de> you wrote:

> But how to handle a raw nand partition and a ubi partition on one
> nand?
>
> If ubi is a new dfu interface, somebody must start dfu on u-boot
> with "dfu nand .." or "dfu ubi .." dependent on which partition
> has to be updated ... before using dfu-util on the host side ...
> and start dfu-util for the correct partition...
>
> This seems not really userfriendly to me ... if I have to use the

Indeed, this makes no sense and breaks the whole concept of DFU to be
able to download a sinlge firmware image with one, simple command.

> Is ubi really a "interface" as nand or mmc ... ?

No, it is not.  It could be considered a "partition type" at best.

> > Looks like it's simple enough; erase (but don't step over the wear counters)
> > , write (but skip over the wear counters).
>
> Yep, or load the complete image in ram, and write it with "ubi write ..."

Not "or".  When dealing with UBI volumes, then "ubi write" (or the
equivalent C API) is the way to go.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
All a hacker needs is a tight PUSHJ, a loose pair of UUOs, and a warm
place to shift.