[U-Boot] dfu: dfu and UBI Volumes

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue May 28 07:58:24 CEST 2013

Dear Heiko,

In message <51A42CCD.1020607 at denx.de> you wrote:

> > I would imagine, but testing and implementation might show a better way,
> > we do UBI as <name> ubi ubiN volume-name, ie:
> > rootfs ubi ubi0 rootfs
> > user ubi ubi0 user-data
> > and so forth, and augment dfu_nand.c with UBI knowledge, ala dfu_mmc and
> > fat/ext knowledge.
>
> Yes, I think, thats the way to go ...

I doubt that dfu_nand.c is the right place for this.  What if I start
using DFU on NOR flash?  The decisions which device type (NAND, MMC,
NOR, USB mass storage, ...) to habdle on one side, and which partition
type / image type (raw, UBI volume, file, ...) on the other side are
fully orthogonal to each other.  They should be handled by independent
code, and not one of them repeated for all implementations of the
other.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A mouse is an elephant built by the Japanese.