[U-Boot] dfu: dfu and UBI Volumes

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue May 28 23:01:09 CEST 2013

Dear Tom,

In message <20130528172309.GF5829 at bill-the-cat> you wrote:

> > Of course this can't yet apply to writing files on file systems since the
> > current API in U-Boot misses the append feature, but this could be applied to
> > program raw memory partitions, including UBI images.
>
> Correct.  We can write a whole UBI image, today, of NAND size,
> regardless of DDR size.  But modifying UBI volumes (so UBIFS or your

I don't think so.  To write a UBI volume on an existing UBI device,
you would use the "ubi write" command.  This translates into a call of
ubi_volume_write(char *volume, void *buf, size_t size)  which means
the size must be known before you start writing; as far as I can tell
ubi_volume_write() does not support incremental write operations of
individual "parts" of a volume.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Its always easier short term to pee in the pond
than install a toilet - it's just not a good long term plan.
          - Alan Cox in <20100101145701.6432e7b7 at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>