[U-Boot] [Question] Is it safe to use 'set verify n' ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 7 14:14:41 CEST 2014

Dear Frank,

In message <53BA57510200004600052723 at gwia2.rz.hs-offenburg.de> you wrote:

> My question is: I'm a bit worried if this boot sequence is still
> safe to run. What happens e.g. if there were Flash errors? Does it
> still makes sense to skip the verification, or wouldn't it be better
> to accept a longer boot since the risk of errors is too high?

We cannot answer this question for your.

You already realized that you are trading speed for security when you
switch off the checksum verification.

It depends on your use case and your project's requirements if this
acceptable or not.  If you're building a consumer grade MP3 player
or a TV remote control, then it's probably fine.  If you build a
distress call system or a remote control for medical equipment the
technical requirements may be very similar, but your evaluation of the
speed vs. risk question may come to totally different results.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it  on
the computer.