[U-Boot] SPL and an LCD splash screen on AM335x

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Wed Jul 30 09:53:02 CEST 2014

Hi Andy,

On 30/07/2014 08:43, Andy Pont wrote:
> Hello!
>
> We are currently working on the specification for a project using the TI
> AM335x where the overall system boot time has to be reduced as far as
> possible.  In order to achieve that I am proposing that we implement a board
> specific spl_start_uboot() function which under normal circumstances U-Boot
> SPL will load the Linux kernel directly.

Of course: spl_start_uboot() is the board specific function that decides
to load either kernel or u-boot.

> One of the other requirements is to "display a splash screen logo on the LCD
> as early in the boot process as possible".  Is it possible to get U-Boot SPL
> to do that or will we always have to boot through U-Boot or see if we can
> get the Linux kernel to do it as early as possible?

This is against the concept. Falcon boot is thought to start the kernel
as fast as possible, removing most of the stuff that belongs to u-boot.

The goal is reached in another way: booting the kernel faster let that
the framebuffer/drm driver in kernel is initialized very soon, and you
have to provide your logo during kernel boot.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de